<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.hungrynomad.net

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Hungry Nomad: Café Habana- Nolita (New York City, USA)

August 3, 2012

Café Habana- Nolita (New York City, USA)

On a Saturday morning in New York I found myself wondering the shop filled streets of the Soho district only to cross over in to Nolita. Walking through an outdoor arts market I saw ahead of me a crowd gathering on the corner. As I walked closer I realized it was the famous Cafe Habana restaurant which I had heard so much about. Of course I had to try it. So I put down my name, called a friend and 30 minutes later was joined by 3 friends. The hostess was not in the least way inviting or nice. But I guess that is to be expected when a restaurant is doing so well they don't really need to charm you with their service. We were told that they would not be able to accommodate a table of 4 and that we should try their take out service next door. 



We headed next door to a more casual, less hectic room where we could order from the same menu but over the counter. There was a few tables inside and some seating outside. 



We ordered the famous Mexican grilled corn and the Cuban sandwich. A few minutes later our order was up. The corn was sprinkled with piles and piles of what looked like grated Parmesan, chili powder and lime juice. The result was fantastic. So good I could have had two (or maybe more). 



The Cuban sandwich is rated as the best in New York. I can't really attest to that and I think it would be hard to rate something as the best unless you have literally tasted all sandwiches and all restaurants in New York. But, I can say this, it was the BEST I have yet had. The pork meat was full of flavour and juicy. The juice had seeped into the bread mixed with the cheese and pickles. It was amazing (see menu)


After eating here, I understand the hype around it. I would wait in line all over again for a bite of that corn and cuban sandwich. 


Café Habana (Take-Out Store) on Urbanspoon
Café Habana on Urbanspoon

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home