<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.hungrynomad.net

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Hungry Nomad: Ferrara Bakery & Cafe- Little Italy (New York, USA)

August 8, 2012

Ferrara Bakery & Cafe- Little Italy (New York, USA)


After our meal at Lombardi's, we found ourselves walking through the tourist filled streets of Little Italy. We were looking for dessert. Not just any dessert but that sweet stuff that Italian pastries are made of. Our friends suggested Ferrara Bakery as one of the oldest establishments in New York. We walked in and I immediately felt like I was in Italy. Rows and rows of colorful pastries lined the glass round counter. The Count and I were immediately swooning over the wide selection. How can you choose when there are so many amazing choices to pick from? 


There were tarts! Strawberry, kiwi, berries and lemon meringue tartes. There were eclairs! Chocolate, coffee and vanilla eclairs. There were Cannolis! Chocolate, vanilla and chocolate chip Cannolis. There was the Napoleon, pain au chocolat and an assortment of cakes. The best for me was the mini pastry section. It is meant for people who can't decide on one choice. You can order three mini versions of pastries which is exactly what I did. 



We sat down, made our orders and waited anxiously. Our desserts and coffees were out in a 'jiffy' (Yes! I have decided to use the term 'jiffy'- its fun and should be used more often). Who can guess which one of us ordered the Chocolate cake? 


If you guessed the Count, then you are correct! He ordered the chocolate cake and was unwilling to part with it to try the rest of the selection on our table. Of course, for research purposes I took a bit bite and loved the chocolaty texture and deep dark chocolate flavor. 


Our friends ordered the mini pastry plate and the Napoleon. I tried a bite of the Napoleon which was perfect. Who doesn't love a good Napoleon? Crispy layers of puff pastry with whipping cream oozing between each layer. I have only had such good treats in Italy and France. In fact, while studying in Paris I used to visit the corner pastry shop by my school for my weekly in take of Napoleon or as the french call it 'mille-feuille' (a thousand sheets). 




For my mini pastry sampler I had the chocolate chip Cannoli, chocolate cream puff and a chocolate wrapped pastry. I loved my Cannoli and really battled to finish the other two  (remember I had just finished having endless amounts of pizza at Lombardi's). 


This bakery is the kind of place I could see myself treating my mom (who has the biggest sweet tooth in the world) to every Sunday. Maybe its a good thing I don't live so close. 

Ferrara Bakery & Cafe on Urbanspoon

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home